Many Washington residents dream of living in a smart home one day, but that dream is often of a Jetsons-style future where we’re all traveling via flying cars and robots are making our meals. The reality is that while robot cooks and flying cars aren’t available just yet, you can have a fully automated smart home today. If you’re just now dipping your toes into the possibilities for smart home technology, then keep reading to learn about the most popular starting points.
Most Popular Smart Upgrades
There are tons of things you can make smarter throughout your home, but some options are far more popular than others. Here are the smart upgrades that are taking Seattle by storm:
- Lighting Control: Say goodbye to the standard light switch. With home lighting control, you can turn the lights on and off via phone, tablet, or voice. You can also use the smart technology to dim lights to just the right brightness for specific activities and connect the light fixtures to other devices throughout the home (like the window shades or security system).
- Motorized Blinds and Shades: Cut down on solar heat gain with window shades that open and close automatically. You can set the shades to adjust at certain times each day or based on occupancy or the amount of sunlight in the room. And with a single push of a button, you can control whether the shades are opened or closed throughout your home.
- Connected Audio and Video: From the same app that controls the lights, shades, etc., you can also reach all of your home entertainment. Control TVs, multi-room audio systems, home theater systems, and more. Using your smartphone, you could turn on a TV in a specific room (or multiple rooms at once), pick out a movie to watch, and start playing it. Or how about pushing a single button to start playing your “party” playlist throughout your entire home?
- Smart Home Security: Ditch the standard lock and key setup for a smart security system that keeps your home protected at all times. You could get smart door locks that allow you to unlock or lock entryways remotely. Pull up real-time, high-definition surveillance footage on your phone whenever you’d like. And get notified whenever there’s an issue with your home, whether it be a fire in the kitchen or a garage door left open.
- Climate Control: Get the perfect temperature in every room of your home with a smart thermostat. You can adjust the temperature remotely, set climate schedules, and include the thermostat in smart “scenes” that adjust all of your home’s smart technology settings at the push of a single button. It helps save a lot of energy while increasing comfort.
How to Control the System
One thing that sets full smart home automation apart from “a home with smart devices” is that the entire system is connected as one cohesive platform. You don’t have to open up 15 different apps if you want to adjust the technology throughout your home. Instead, preset scenes can create the perfect environment with a single voice command or press of a button.
In order to achieve that one-touch control, you need the right platform. Our recommendation goes to Control4. It’s a user-friendly, powerful system that can do just about anything you want. As Seattle’s top Control4 dealer, we can confidently say that you’ll be happy with the reliability and ease of use that you get through Control4.
Once you have the main platform set up, you can manage everything via voice command, tablet, phone, desktop, or hand-held remote.
If you want any of the smart home technologies mentioned above, the next step is to give us a call at (425) 998-8008. We’ll walk you through the options that make sense for your home, budget, and lifestyle. You can also reach us by clicking on the live chat window at the bottom of the screen or filling out this brief questionnaire.